The majority of Trifusion Fitness clients come to us with very similar goals, with weight loss usually being the leading factor. Next is one or more of the following: building lean muscle, improving general fitness, boosting energy levels, and toning.
This article aims to provide a little more information on exactly WHAT HIIT is and HOW the amazing benefits of HIIT can help you to achieve all of the aforementioned goals.
What is HIIT?
HIIT stands for High-Intensity Interval Training. You might also see if referred to as High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise (HIIE) or Sprint Interval Training (SIT). It is an enhanced form of training that involves alternating short periods of intense exercise with less intense recovery periods.
E.g. Let’s use 2 well-known exercises: a) push-ups and b) squat jumps. If we perform each exercise at an interval of 20 seconds with a 10-second rest and repeat this sequence for 4 minutes, we have created an effective HIIT workout!
- Push-ups: 20 seconds
- Rest: 10 seconds
- Squat jumps: 20 seconds
- Rest: 10 seconds
Repeat for 4 rounds (4 minutes).
- 1-minute rest.
Repeat the whole set 5 times.
The key is in the elevated heart rate. To make this a HIIT workout it has to be done at a high intensity and your heart rate should be elevated to 85 – 90% MAX!!
Why Should I HIIT It?!
- Burn More Fat!! There have been many studies on the effectiveness of HIIT training as opposed to steady state cardio in regards to fat burn. One such study, conducted by the University of Western Ontario, selected 10 men and 10 women to train 3 times per week. One group completed 4-6 30-second sprints on a treadmill (with large rest periods between each), whilst the other completed 60 minutes of steady state incline treadmill walking. After 6 weeks training the HIIT sprint group had lost more fat. You WILL burn more fat in a HIIT workout than you will in a lower intensity steady state workout. You will also have an elevated resting metabolic rate after a good HIIT session that will see you burning fat for up to 24 hours AFTER you complete your workout! Just one of the amazing benefits of HIIT!
- Support Strength Training To Improve Muscle Growth. A well-designed HIIT workout uses strength-based exercise at a high intensity, which will support muscle growth as well as burn fat.
- Improve Aerobic Capacity. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, just 2 weeks of high-intensity intervals improves your aerobic capacity by as much as 6-8 weeks of treadmill jogging!! All of a sudden that 2-3km run doesn’t seem so tough!!
- Time Efficiency. A well-programmed HIIT session can be extremely effective in less than 10 minutes. The Tabata Protocol has revealed that bouts of high-intensity intervals at 20-second hard/10 second rest, can produce results in as little as 4 minutes. While most will last between 20 – 30 minutes, they will produce a far greater fat burning effect than a longer steady state cardio activity such as running. So if you’re struggling to find time to get a workout in, try a short hard HIIT session and discover the amazing benefits of HIIT for yourself.
- No Equipment Necessary. A HIIT workout can be completed in the comfort of your home, in a park, or even at work if you’re sneaky enough. In many cases, your own body weight serves as good as any equipment to be able to get your heart rate elevated at the necessary intervals.
We could go on and on about the amazing benefits of HIIT training. In our humble opinion, if you are looking to become lean and toned, this style of training is a must. Not only will you achieve amazing results, you will be able to do it by spending LESS TIME EXERCISING! That’s a BIG TICK in many people’s boxes! That’s not to say you should ONLY do HIIT workouts, but by adding 2-3 30-minute HIIT sessions to your weekly weight training program, you will really accelerate your results.
Sign Me Up!!!
If you would like to experience all of the benefits of this AMAZING time efficient training, you can come in and trial the 30 minute HIIT sessions at Trifusion Fitness. Conveniently located at 837 Nepean Highway (Opposite Dendy Park Brighton)
you can take a look at the timetable of sessions at www.trifusion.com/timetable OR give us a call on 9557 7676
We also post regular HIIT sessions on our Facebook and Instagram pages named HIIT3Zero so make sure you’re following us there.